Culimeta - a group of companies with history
Established back in 1926 in The Hague by Henri Cuylits as a commercial enterprise for metals, Culimeta was continued by his son Alfons Cuylits with the foundation of a sole proprietorship in Monheim in 1958 for the import and export of thermalelectric insulating hoses and textile glass fibre gaskets. The present-day company name of Culimeta originates from 1926: Henri Cuylits Metalhandel.
In 1961 the company was moved to Leverkusen, providing the prerequisite for its own production. However, as a spatial extension in Leverkusen was not a medium-term option, a relocation became imperative. In 1967 the decision was made in favour of Bersenbrück, where production began in new buildings.
In 1981 a textile plying mill was launched in Ankum. In 1985 the production was relocated from Ankum to Mölln; at present this company site provides an area of approx. 4,500 sqm after various structural extensions. This is the third generation of the fast expanding company, managed by the sons of Alfons Cuylits, Vincent and Diederik Cuylits, since 1996. Over the past 50 years a highperformance group of companies developed – represented in the European Economic Area and market leader in this trade sector – supplying customers on all continents with technical glass fibre textiles.
In 2000 the production area in Bersenbrück was extended significantly. In order to accommodate the finishing and dressing machine for insulating hoses and gaskets, the braiding shop was relocated from Mölln to Bersenbrück. Thus, in return the Mölln plant gained the urgently needed space for the desired increase in capacity. Over the years, the core competences were utilised in order to distinctly develop the strategically crucial business areas.
A group of companies formed...
Through various outsourcing agreements and acquisitions of business divisions with customers and competitors, Culimeta gained a good international reputation. With the acquisition of the French company Nouvelle Tissafil S.a.r.l. in 2003, the corner stone for the internationalisation of the industrial activities was laid.
Since January 2005 Culimeta-Saveguard Ltd., previously Saveguard UK Ltd. and Firehalt UK Ltd. is part of the industrial group. The company based in Dukinfield (Manchester) is specialized in the development and production of flexible fire protection products (FireHalt®), exhaust silencer insulating materials (AcoustaFilTM) as well as pipe insulation systems (Thermolastic). Additionally, numerous products made of aramid, carbon, glass, pre-ox and PFR Rayon are part of the delivery program. At the end of 2006 the plant “Culimeta Baltics“ in Valmiera, Latvia, could be put into operation with a plant area of 4.400 m². Culimeta Baltics is mainly focused on the production of yarns made of glass fibres and texturized glass fibre products.
Expansion of the Automotive-activities ...
The company activities of the H. Diedrichs GmbH & Co. KG have been taken over by the Cuylits Holding in 2010. First named Diedrichs Isolier- und Abschirmtechnik GmbH, the company now trades as Culimeta Automotive Darmstadt GmbH which should offer more transparency and overview after integration in the company group. The plant is specialized in heat shields and sound absorbers made of all-metal (insulation absorber) as well as micro perforated heat shields. ies
The company activities of Theobald GmbH have also been taken over by the Cuylits Holding in 2010. Since June 2013 the company is trading as Culimeta Automotive Neunkirchen GmbH.
Culimeta becomes the flagship trademark for the Culimeta Group, which is represented in Germany, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Latvia, Italy and the USA with ten plants as well as one sales office.